Friday, August 10, 2012

Day 80, August 10

Most of us menopausers have had mothers-in-law and/or are mothers-in-law.  MILs have a bad rep.  We're portrayed in the most heinous and nasty of ways.  Mostly I'm all right with that.  I figure a healthy dose of respect ... or fear ... in an in-law child is a good thing.  After all, before a woman becomes a mother-in-law, she is first, and foremost, a mother.  (My ex daughter-in-law knows exactly where she stands with me.)

When I learned of a dear friiend's daughter who had been cheated on by her husband with the resulting pain of divorce, I decided to take my SIL aside and, in my genteel, lady-like manner, put the fear of all that's holy in him if he ever cheated on my daughter.  I described to him that I would hunt him down like a feral dog, strip the flesh from his bones, and then rip his still-beating heart from his body if he hurt my baby girl. 

How's that for a sweet Mormon wife, mother, and grandmother? 

Really, my SIL and I have a good relationship.  After all, fear is a prime motivator.

No comments:

Post a Comment