Saturday, October 6, 2012

Day 136, October 6

You've doubtless heard of the Red Hat Society.  I used to belong to a Red Hat chapter, before we disbanded.  I miss hanging out with other Red Hatters, or Mad-Hatters as we used to call ourselves.  Mostly, I miss dressing up in purple clothes and red hats with feathers, a boa tossed about my shoulders in an ever-so-casual manner.

Red Hatters had THE WAVE down pat.  As one friend taught us,

"Touch your pearls.
Blow a kiss,
Wave your hand,
And turn your wrist."

This is the wave of beauty pageant contestants and the Queen Mother of England.  Done properly, THE WAVE never stirs the air.  It is a regal gesture, with just a hint of disdain in it.

Our Red Hat chapter had a queen, a queen of vice, a secretary, and a treasurer.  I had a special position:  that of naughty poetess.  How I came by that is still a mystery to me.

I was sorry to see enthusiasm for Red Hats die.  We menopausers need a reminder that we're important, that we're here, and that we can still cause trouble!



No comments:

Post a Comment