Tuesday, June 5, 2012

Day 17, June 5

Do you remember THE TALK?  It's the one that women of my generation were given along about the 5th or 6th grades.  Girls were sent to one room, boys to another.  As I think back, those were innocent times and we were innocent, much more so than children of the same age are now.

Anyway, girls were told that their bodies were changing.  We would develop breasts.  (I remember being totally shocked that the word was said aloud.)  We would start periods.  (What was a period besides a punctuation mark?)  We were also told that hair would be growing in strange and unusual places.  Where would hair grow, I wondered, except on my head.

Well, hair did grow in strange and unsual places.  Suddenly, I was shaving.  The excitement of it was quickly obscured by the tedium of it.

Forty or so years later, my body was changing again and hair was growing in strange and unsual places again.  The problem was, nobody had sat me down and given me THE TALK.


2 comments:

  1. Nice blog, Jane. I like that you treat the subject of menopause with humor and yet manage to steer clear of ridicule.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good point. Thanks, by the way, for letting me in on this project. It's like you're sitting down and having THE TALK part 2 with me.

    ReplyDelete