Friday, June 1, 2012

Day 13, June 1

You may have wondered why I named this blog "The Menopause Monocle."

The answer lies in several parts.  First, the writer in me loves the alliteration of menopause and monocle.  Who can resist a good alliteration?  Not me.

Second, accompanying age as it does, menopause frequently brings with it failing eyesight.  Just recently, I've had to start wearing reading glasses.  I resented this heartily.  For years, I've prided myself on my good eyesight.  Even when my breasts were sagging, my thighs were jiggling, and my two stomachs were happily co-existing, I could tell myself, "Well, you still have your eyesight."

Monocle, an eyepiece, seemd particularly appropriate as we are taking a close look at what happens to us when the Big M creeps upon us.  Really, menopause did not creep upon me.  It attacked me with vicious and pernicious intensity. 

So, here I am, with my failing eyesight and lumpy body.  Never mind.  I still have my hearing. 

2 comments:

  1. My hearing is very bad in my left ear.....I love that ear to listen in......i read that it's because it's closest to the window when we drive and that traffic noise over the years causes us to loose our hearing in the left ear first.....that's my story and I'm sticking to it.....never mind that my mom is the only one of her siblings that doesn't wear a hearing aid....she should - oh drat genetics!!

    ReplyDelete