Saturday, June 16, 2012

Day 28, June 16

Hag. What a frightful word.  It is especially frightful when it is applied to myself.

Do you know the origin of the word/?  The word hagia comes from the Greek word for body. At one time, it was a title of respect for a wise, older woman, an elder of the tribe.  Through time and misuse, it's now become a term of derision.

Isn't that the way with many things?  What was considered something to be respected and revered becomes something to be ridiculed, or worse, pitied.

I feel that way sometimes.  After a lifetime of learning and work and taking care of others, I feel put out to pasture, someone not worth listening to, not worth knowing. 

At times like that, I remember that I am only that if I allow anyone, including myself, to treat me that way.



No comments:

Post a Comment