Wednesday, June 13, 2012

Day 25, June 13

At the begining of this blog, I quoted a greeting card with the sentiment that many of a woman's problems begin with "men," (mental illness, menstruation, menopause). 

It occurred to me that menopause also begins with the letters "me."

Women of my generation, especially Mormon women, were taught to put themselves last.  Our husbands, our children, community and church members, we were told, should come first.  If there were any money, energy, or time left over, we might, just might, do something for ourselves.  It was hard to argue with.   Selfishness never was happiness.  And the fact is, I enjoy doing things for my children and grandchildren. I like to share with others.  It's a good feeling.  No question about it.

You know what, though?  Sometimes, just every once in a while, I want to put me first.

I recently put me first in a big way.  I saved up my money and bought myself a Tempurpedic bed.  It was an extravagance.  This marvel adjuts up and down, even has a built-in massager.   I turn it on and feel pampered.

I love it. 

I LOVE it.

I may be hot, lumpy and dumpy, verging on crazy, but, I have a really fabulous bed. Life is good.




No comments:

Post a Comment