Friday, June 29, 2012

Day 41, June 29

I have a small plaque that reads, "Well-behaved women rarely make history."

Truer words were never said.  Unfortunately, women of my generation were taught, indeed, it was drummed in to us, to be well-behaved, to mind our manners, to efface ourselves.  For better or worse, those teachings stuck.  I was well-behaved.  I minded my manners.  I effaced myself.  I did the latter so well that I nearly obliterated myself.

Where would I be now if I had stood up for myself more?  Would I be bolder and more confident?  Most assuredly. Would I be happier?  I know so.  So what, you may rightly ask, does this have to do with menopause?


Withi all its problems and struggles, menopause is a time of freedom.  We as women have finally come in to our own.  We can stand up for ourselves; we can speak our minds; we can snub our fingers at the world and say, "Bite me."

Please don't misunderstand:  I'm not suggesting that we become ill-tempered shrews.  I am, however, stating, unequivocally, that it is time menopausal women (and ALL women) make themselves heard.  If someone treats you shabbily, don't sit idly by and take it.  Calmly,  politely, tell the offender that you deserve better.  Everyone deserves respectful treatment.  Even menopausal women.  Especially menopausal women.


One of my historical heroines is Eliza Roxy Snow, second General Relief Society President of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints.  At a time when women were under-rated and under appreciated, Sister Snow stood up for her beliefs and stood up for herself.  When a mob  member threatened her, she refused to back down.  He doffed his hat to her and said, "You are a better man than I."  She later confided to another sister, "I was not much flattered."

Menopausal women of the world, unite.  Treat yourself and each other as the phenomenal women you are.

No comments:

Post a Comment