Friday, June 22, 2012

Day 34, June 22

Menopausal women are usually (though not always) paired with men of a similar age. This is because we have grown old together and realize that no one else would have us.

My husband and I have been married for 39 years. This is a miracle as I remain 29 years old. When my 12-year-old granddaughter asked about this, I said, "It's the new math." She shook her head and gave me one of those pitying looks that seem to come more and more often my way.

Back to the men in our lives. My sweetheart is a dear man. But he has some annoying habits. One is his total inability to know when I need a compliment. When he leaned over in church one day and said, out of the blue, "You're old," I knew we needed an attitude adjustment. By attitude adjustment, I mean that he needed to change his own.

I'm old. Okay. I accept that. Does that mean he has to whisper it in church? There was a time when he'd whisper, "You're beautiful." No more. Now, it's "You're old."

Couldn't he have said, "You're as beautiful now as you were the day I married you?" Of course that would be a bald-faced lie, but who the hell cares? Lies have their place.

Especially in a marriage of 39 years.

2 comments:

  1. Boyd leaned into me a few years ago.....in church also.....and whispered "in just the right light I can see your mustache!" I wanted to hurt him......as so the waxing began!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hmmm. Maybe we should do some whispering of our own. Like, "Could you lean over a bit more? I'd like to check my hair in the reflection from your bald spot." Or, "It used to be that the kids would sit between us, but now it's just your love handles."

    ReplyDelete