Sunday, July 8, 2012

Day 50 July 8

Those of us old enough to have mothers of  a certain age may remember the girdles our mothers wore so proudly.  Every year, my mother faitihfully ordered two Playtex girdles. 

These were heavy-duty affairs, made of a rubbery material that was all but indestructible.  Getting in these garments required dexterity, strength, and a willingness to sacrifice all modesty for they required help to don.  After doing up a series of hooks and eyes, the girdle then had to be zipped at the side.   These were not panty girdles and so were worn over underwear or sans underwear.  Garters extended from the bottom of the girdle to hold up stockings.  These garters left deep impressions on the thighs, but no matter.

Today's "compression garments" are far kinder.  We have our choice of shapers, slimmers, and even booty augmentations.  (Although why anyone would want to add to their booty flumoxes me.)  Spanx is the newest in shapers and comes in all forms and  sizes.   Personally, I am too hot to wear anything I don't aboslutely have to, so I eschew these garments and let the flab fall where it will.



1 comment:

  1. No kidding. I don't even like padding or a solid form to my bra. Don't figure anyone's looking anyway!

    ReplyDelete