Thursday, July 12, 2012

Day 54, July 12

If you obey all the rules, you miss all the fun.--Katherine Hepburn

I spent a lifetime obeying all the rules.  And, for the most part, I still do.  The trouble is, obeying all the rules got (and gets)  me nowhere.   I was passed over, passed by, and, for all intents and purposes, I had  passed on.  (Would anyone even notice if I had, I wondered.)

Does this sound like a bout of self-pity?  Maybe it is.  Mostly it's a wake-up call to women, those my age and those younger, to break a rule occasionally.

Menopause is a time to break out of old, self-defeating patterns.  Write the  novel you always wanted to.  Dye your hair red.  Stand up for yourself when your husband or boss or anyone else puts you down.

Look for the fun in things.  More, look for the fun in YOU.






No comments:

Post a Comment