Thursday, November 15, 2012

Day 176, November 15

Everybody has a secret world inside of them. I mean everybody. All of the people in the whole world, I mean everybody — no matter how dull and boring they are on the outside. Inside them they've all got unimaginable, magnificent, wonderful, stupid, amazing worlds... Not just one world. Hundreds of them. Thousands, maybe.

Neil Gaiman

You know that I love good quotes.  So when a friend sent this to me, I knew I had to incorporate it into this blog.  I wonder what the women of  churches everywhere, of our communities, of our nation, indeed, of our world would be like if we shared our secrets with each other, those "unimaginable, magnificent, wonderful, stupid, amazing worlds" of which Gaiman speaks so eloquently.

Would we not be able to do "unminaginable, magnificent, wonderful, stupid, and amazing" things?  I like to think so.

I keep much of me secreted inside, for fear that if others knew those things--the fantasies, the hopes, the dreams, the fears that I harbor
--inside of me, that they would be scared senseless ... or decide that I should be locked away (as my youngest son Hyrum believes).  And you know what?  Some of those things are pretty fantastic.  You, my readers, know many of my thoughts, but there are more, many more, that simmer inside my mind, waiting for an audience, an opportunity.

(A little caveat here:  my dear friend Laurie always maintains that she doesn't want to know what's in my mind for fear that she might start thinking like me, so you might temper your response to this particular blog with that.)

So what does this have to do with menopause?  Just this:  women of my generation were taught to lock away things, to show restraint, to put on the socially accepted face that showed the world nothing.  And because we showed the world nothing, the world too frequently believed that we were nothing.

Gem for the day:  take a chance; reveal part of yourself.  You may discover "unimaginable, magnificent, wonderful, stupid, and amazing worlds" in the confines of your own heart and mind.

1 comment:

  1. I'm with you girlfriend....too many crazy thoughts rolling around in the gray matter between my ears......scary.......liberating......inspiring (?)......maybe someday we can "share" together!

    ReplyDelete